Friday, January 30, 2009

Day One In Nijmegen

So I arrived in Nederlands at about 9:10 By the time I got by baggage I was late for the 10:00 train and was forced to wait for the 10:30 one to Nijmegen. IT cost me 19 Euros approx. 28 dollars. The man checking the tickets yelled at me for putting my feet on the seat in front of me, he obviously realized I didn't speak dutch then I felt bad for leaving a bad reputation for Americans. I got to the station, got off hoping that a ward member with a sign bearing my name on it would be there. Unfortunately that did not happen. I was okay, I just had to get on the Line 10 bus to campus. I got there.... Next battle finding the international office. Looking like a complete fool with my three carry-ons and huge suitcase walking all over campus. When I found it we worked on some of my schooling logistics. Then it was up to me to find housing for the next few days until I could move in on Monday. The tears began to flow, I know I should have had a plan before hand bu most people I spoke with said finding a cheap hostel was easy and no big deal to plan it ahead of time. They were wrong very wrong, and once again, Dad was right. I called the Branch Presidents wife Nancy and she was very sweet and arranged for a 24 year old convert student to pick me up; she had been through this before 5 years earlier and knew exactly how I felt. She helped me find a place to stay until Monday morning.

I wish that was when it got better but once they left me (offering every possible service they could think of) the waterworks came again and I paid the 17 Euros to get an internet connection to talk with Ben, the boyfriend I left at USU, and Mom. It took a few tries to get it to work and believe me I was praying. Finally it did and things got better. Candi reminded me that I hadn't eaten in about 20 hours that could have pushed my emotions so at about 5:30 I took off to find a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment